Thursday, July 9, 2009

Glen Johnson, our latest addition....

Glen Johnson, who was voted the best RB of the season by the PFA is the latest addition to our squad. With 18 Million pounds spent on the lad, Rafa does not regret one bit to have recruited the man because he cannot be more accurate when he says English players carry a high price tag. Very versatile in his style of play, he possesses the speed and ability to break defences and provide that killer ball. This will indeed sharpen our attack spearhead and at the same time boost our defensive order. That said, Glen Johnson will act as a double sided spear, hence a very tactical buy by Rafa. Johnson was always coming to Liverpool even though Chelsea offered the same price for the player before agreement was done with Liverpool.

Yesterday was Johnson's first training day at Melwood. Today he speaks about how he feels about his Anfield move and what were his motivations. Here's what he had to say:

"I had a spell at Chelsea before and there were good and bad times but when a club like Liverpool comes in for you it is not a hard decision," Johnson told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"It's a fantastic club - one of the biggest in the world. It's got a great history and I wanted to be a part of that.

"The hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you come to Anfield and hear You'll Never Walk Alone even when you don't play for Liverpool, so I cannot begin to imagine how it is going to feel when I put the kit on for the first time."

Johnson will be unveiled to the world's media on Thursday afternoon where he will reveal how his top priority in a Liverpool shirt will be helping the club win a first league title since 1990.

"We've got some fantastic players and I wanted to come here and help Liverpool win the league," added the 24-year-old.

"The boys did fantastically well last year. Hopefully we can now get a few more points and steal it from Manchester United.

"We want to go as far as we can in every competition but all the lads want to win the Premier League and that would be a great start."

"I can definitely improve - every player can. I want to improve every aspect of my game," he said.

"Rafa has told me he wants more of the same form I showed last year, but he also wants me to improve. We will be working hard together to do that.

"I am here to do my best."

"Yesterday was my first day and all the lads and staff made me feel really welcome, so it's good times," he said.

"I knew Stevie and Carra from before but yesterday I met about 60 players! I was shaking the same hands about four times introducing myself! It's a lot to take in at once, and obviously the lads were messing about and laughing about that. But everyone's made me feel really welcome and it's great to be here."

"Peter and Jermaine said it's a fantastic club but they didn't need to say that - I knew. They told me I'd enjoy every minute of it," he said.

Seems to be a fairly good person from what he's said about our club. Now let's wait and see how his presence influences the fluidity of our game. Hopefully, his displays will yield more goals and we would be able to turn those draws into wins. Another quality addition to our squad is however expected.

(Interview Source: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to voice out your views!